[Feature Request] Payroll module.

Started by pekkari, 04.05.17 - klo:17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

pekkari

Hi,

Would it be any interest on developing a payroll module for MLInvoice? Something like generating simple
statements for employees would be a great feature, though I don't know if there is any widely used template
along the country.

I know most little business will simply go to palkka.fi, but it screw the magic of being self-hosted.

I'd be happy to contribute any code in that direction if the interest is good to get it accepted.

Let me know your opinions about it.

Thanks!

José.

Ere Maijala

Hi,

unfortunately I have practically no experience in payroll management. I also can't see that it would have a very meaningful connection to invoicing etc, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! Thus I'd say that while I can see the point of being independent of external services and it's something I'd like to support, I'm inclined to concentrate my limited resources on improving functionality around the company-clients transactions.

--Ere

pekkari

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I read the answer over the weekend and it swallowed my mind in other
endeavours.

Yes I understand the purpose of the tool is actually narrowed to invoices, and that is fine, and the
way it does it's that good so that someone with no knowledge of accountancy(namely me) is able
to create professional invoices for Finnish businesses.

On top of my head is that the way to generate a payslip for doing small businesses payroll is not
that far away from the way MLInvoice actually creates invoices, and while this can bring some more
users, may fill a gap for the small business that actually uses it nowadays.

I lack knowledge of what are the minimum required information on payslips though, I just know how to
write code and debug it, so myself alone I might be unable to do it, but if you ever happen to know
some way on it, I prefer to spend more time developing it than evaluating new software to suit the
purpose.

Thanks again!

José.

taleman

We use palkka.fi also, but must first use MLInvoice to generate a report of the invoices which are used for salary calculations. Adding a payroll functionality to MLInvoice would use programmer resources better spent elsewhere. I have made a payroll program for our internal use, since the payroll programs sold are not suited for the way we calculate how much an employee should be paid. So I assume the proposed payroll stuff added to MLInvoice would not work for us anyway. Or then it would need to be customizable, which makes it even harder to code.
MLInvoice generates a nifty report, I just copy the sum from that to the payroll calculations. That is enough for our needs, at least for now.

Instead of adding payroll to MLInvoice, I would propose creating an API so payroll program could get the data it needs from MLInvoice. On the other hand, with the invoice program we used previously I made an sqlquery that fetched the information from database, similar stuff probably would work with MLInvoice, so maybe not much of an API is needed.